“Spider-Man: Across the Spider-Verse” ranked first at the Chinese mainland box office over the weekend with an opening score of $17.2 million (RMB122 million).
The giant screen company, Imax, reports that $2.7 million, or more than 16% of the total film in China, came from its Middle Kingdom locations.
more than variety
Chinese online ticketing agency Maoyan forecasts that “Spider-Man: Across the Spider-Verse” will earn a total of RMB241 million or $34 million at current exchange rates.
“Fast X,” which had taken the prize for the past two weekends, was passed on its third lap and raked in $7.7 million for second place, according to data from consultancy Artisan Gateway. After 17 days in Chinese theaters, “Fast X” has amassed $124 million, making it the highest-grossing imported title to open this year in China ahead of Japanese animation “Suzume.”
Maoyan has revised his forecast for “Fast X” once again. He now predicts a lifetime score of 932 million RMB ($132 million), having initially predicted 728 RMB ($104 million) and then given at least two updates.
Two Japanese animated newcomers, Studio Ghibli’s 1986 “Castle in the Sky” and current year’s franchise title “Doraemon: Nobita’s Sky Utopia” ranked third and fourth respectively, edging out Disney’s live-action film. “The Little Mermaid” out of the top five. chart in just its second weekend.
“Castle in the Sky” earned $6.0 million (RMB42.8 million) during the mainstream Friday-Sunday weekend and raked in $10.7 million (RMB76 million) including on the Thursday release day. Similarly, the title “Doraemon” also enjoyed a June 1 release and grossed $4.2 million (RMB29.6 million) over the weekend for a four-day total of $10.9 million (RMB77, 1 million).
The Chinese title, “Godspeed,” which was released at the end of April, remained in fifth place over the weekend. He added $3.8 million for a cumulative total of $152 million (RMB 1.08 billion).
“The Little Mermaid,” which received a decidedly icy reception in China, sank to tenth place according to provisional figures from other data providers. His cumulative languishes at about $3.77 million after ten days.
The weekend box office total domestically was $43.9 million. That’s 46% ahead of a sickly 2022, according to Artisan Gateway, and 19% below the cumulative total at the same point in 2019.
The consultancy reported that the month of May, which includes a significant one-week holiday period, generated a box office gross of $487 million (RMB3.4 billion), an increase of more than three times compared to the affected month of May. by COVID-19 last year, but a 30% delay compared to 2019.
It also estimates that despite the return of largely normal Hollywood releases in China since early 2023, Chinese-language content has amassed a 79% market share in the first five months of the year. The remaining 21% achieved by foreign language titles had to be shared by Hollywood and Japanese films, with “Suzume” and “The First Slam Dunk” performing strongly.
The best of the variety
Subscribe to the variety newsletter. For the latest news, follow us on Facebook, Twitter and Instagram.
Click here to read the full article.