Social networking sites are so crowded that it can be hard to stand out. Instagram alone has over a billion monthly active users and 500 million daily active users. That makes it even harder to get noticed on the app. However, there are several ways to remove noise.
In addition to posting high-quality and interesting content, you can focus on your bio so that it deserves people’s attention. A quick way to achieve this is by uploading a good profile picture. This article will show you how to upload a profile picture on Instagram, whether you are a new user or need to change.
How to change your Instagram profile picture on mobile
Whether you use Instagram on an iPhone or Android device, the steps you need to take to change your profile picture are identical.
This is what you need to do on your phone:
- Open the Instagram app and tap your Profile icon in the lower right corner of the screen.
- Now it’s time Edit profile at the top of the screen.
- Play Change profile picture.
- At this point, you can touch Take photo to take a selfie or Choose from the library. If you choose the latter, Instagram will take you to your phone’s library, where you’ll have to choose a suitable image. (More on choosing a profile picture for Instagram below.)
- Finally touch Done in the upper right corner. Instagram will now start displaying your new image.
That is all that is needed. This is one of the things new Instagram users need to do first to complete their profiles. Having said that, you can also benefit if you’ve been on Instagram for a while, in case you need to change things up. And if you want to try something different, you can choose to use an avatar as your Instagram profile picture instead of the old selfie.
A unique avatar is a sure way to make your Instagram profile stand out and grab people’s attention instantly, as most people use real photos of themselves as profile pictures. Once you’ve created an avatar, follow the steps above and tap use avatar to set it as your profile picture.
How to change your Instagram profile picture on the web
Changing your Instagram profile on the web is slightly different but just as easy. This is what you need to do:
- Sign in to your Instagram account in your browser.
- Click on your Profile picture in the upper right corner of the screen.
- now click on Profilefollowed by Edit profile.
- Click on Change profile picture at the top of the screen, followed by Upload photo in the popup menu.
- This will open the file explorer on your computer. Use it to find the image you like and then click Open in the lower right corner of the window.
Are you ready! Now you know how to upload a profile picture to your Instagram account, regardless of your device. Repeat this process every time you want to change your profile picture on Instagram.
Tips for choosing a good Instagram profile picture
As we mentioned before, your profile picture is one of the elements that can help your Instagram profile stand out, or any social media platform, for that matter. This is why you need to be intentional and smart about the image you upload.
First of all, consider your niche. Unless it’s about pets, nature, or something else entirely, you should upload a photo of yourself. This also helps other Instagram users connect with you and know who is behind the account they are interacting with.
Since your Instagram profile appears as a small icon on your profile, it wouldn’t make sense to upload a full body image. You can reserve that for your Instagram grid. In fact, you can pin your top three photos to your Instagram profile.
Find a clear photo of yourself from the neck up. Choose a photo in which you are smiling and seem warm and welcoming. Unless you’re using your Instagram profile for work or business purposes, try not to choose a photo where you appear serious or unapproachable; leave it for your LinkedIn profile picture.
Finally, avoid uploading a profile image that is heavily edited or has a filter on it, unless it is consistent with the theme of your profile. For example, if your profile has a black and white aesthetic, then it would make sense to upload a black and white profile picture. Otherwise, keep it bright and clear.
Stand out with the perfect Instagram profile picture
Every day, millions of profiles compete for people’s attention on Instagram. Your profile picture is often the first thing people notice as they scroll through your feed or land on your profile. You only have a few seconds to grab and hold their attention, so give them a clean, crisp profile picture.