Knowing how to update Android not only ensures that your phone has the latest software features. See, when you install a new version of Google’s operating system, the optimizations and security patches it contains also make your device more elegant and secure. Therefore, updating Android is one of the best things you can do to take care of your device and your personal information, and to have the most fun with your phone.
If you’re not sure how to update Android, maybe you’re new to the best Android phones or just not sure, you need not fear. It couldn’t be simpler, and this guide has you covered.
Here’s how to update Android.
How to update Android
- Connect to Wi-Fi and keep your phone charged
- Open the Settings app
- Scroll down and tap System
- Tap System Update
- Tap Check for updates
- Press Download and install
- If prompted, select Restart Now
- Wait for Android to finish updating after reboot
Read on for detailed instructions for each step.
Note: This guide was produced with a Google Pixel. The steps may differ slightly on phones from other manufacturers that use different versions of Android. However, steps 1 through 5 should be more or less the same.
1. Make sure you’re connected to Wi-Fi, if possible, as major updates require large downloads. Ideally, put your phone on charge (some updates require your phone to be plugged in or have a certain battery life).
2. Open the Settings appafter scroll down Y touch System.
3. Tap System Update.
Four. Your device may tell you that it is up to date. ignore this and play Search for updates. If no update is available, your system is up to date and you do not need to do anything else. If an update is available, continue with step 5.
5. Touch Download and install if an update is available.
6. Wait for the update to download and install. This may take a while.
7. Sometimes your device may need to restart to complete the update. If requested, select restart noweither select a more convenient time for the device to reboot and apply the update.
8. Once your device restarts, swipe down from the top to bring up notifications. You will see an Android system banner indicating the progress of the update. Follow more prompts as necessary.
Now you know how to update Android and you can enjoy all the fun new features of a major new version of the operating system. Or you can simply enjoy the convenience of applying the latest security features. Next, you’ll want to discover all the things your phone can do, so be sure to check out our guides to a host of hidden Android features. Still don’t know Google Lens? Get started with how to instantly translate any text on Android, how to identify any landmark on Android, and how to identify any plant on Android. Concerned about security? Read how to change app permissions on Android. Do you need to share data? You’ll want to know how to set up a Wi-Fi hotspot on Android.